- Stabilization method for Biomolecules and Complex reaction mixtures through gelification
- Description/ application of the technology
- Process which consists of stabilizing a mixture of reagents making a kit, maintaining its chemical properties and their activity without the elements that react with one another, being able to keep it at room temperature or cold reactive mixtures having to be retained by freezing.
- Advantages: Simple handling and use of reaction mixtures (kits); can work under the concept “one tube - one reaction" (saving time, no sample contamination), easy shipment and storage, and molecular testing in “doctor’s office".
- IP support
- International Patents PCT ES2002/000109 PCT ES2004/000024
- Proof of concept
- Interest of several companies (transfer of technology).
- Applied to diagnostics kits currently in commercialization process
The reaction mixtures contain all required components for the enzymatic reaction (enzymes, primers, etc.), and are stabilised by a process involving dehydration after the addition of stabilising and gelifying agents
Figure: Gelification Technology
GELIFICATION MEANS DE SIMPLIEST, FASTEST AND MOST ROBUST WAY TO MAKE PCR
Figure: One Tube-One Rection Technology Platform
Advantages of molecular diagnostic kits stabilized by Gelification
- EASE OF USE (“READY TO USE”)
As the end user must only use one tube, to which he must only add water and the sample to be tested, as all other required reagents in order to perform the diagnostic reaction are already contained in the tube (“one tube – one reaction”)
- THE USUAL CROSS-CONTAMINATIONS THAT CAUSE FALSE DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS ARE AVOIDED
- SAVES AN IMPORTANT AMOUNT OF TIME FOR THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST
As handling steps are minimal and all the required components are at room temperature in one tube, eliminating that way the usual 45 min to carry out the molecular diagnostic test, so that with Gelification the process takes only 10 min
- THE STABILITY OF THE KITS IS IMPROVED
As the kits can be stored, transported and handled at room temperature without the need of maintaining the usual cold chain
- THE TECHNOLOGY FACILITATES THE COMPLETE AUTOMATION MAKING MOLECULAR DIAGNOSTICS SIMPLE
- POSSIBILITY OF PERFORMING “IN DOCTOR’S OFFICE” AND “IN-FIELD” ASSAYS
More detailed information about it